Saturday, December 5, 2009

Voluntarily Locked Out???

“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” – Acts 1:8 (NIV)


The very first day I pulled into the parking lot of Missouri State University, I was sure that I was going to be great at college. I had come from church that morning, and I was ready to go!!! I decided that I didn’t want to go into the band camp week in my nice dress clothes, so I slipped on some jeans in the car. I went into the temporary dorm, where I would make my home for the next couple days before I could move into my permanent dorm, and registered. I decided to go upstairs to the room to dump my first load of stuff, my purse, laptop, and umbrella. (It hadn’t been raining, so I have no idea why I had one with me!)

As I headed up the stairs, I started to panic. I couldn’t find my car keys! I dumped out my purse all over the bed…I searched through my laptop case, hoping I had stashed them inside, but they were nowhere to be found! I seriously freaked out!!! Here I was, a college freshman, locked out of my car! I was locked out of the only thing that was familiar to me!
Have you ever felt that way? As Christians, I think we need to feel this way more often than not – we need to voluntarily lock ourselves out of what’s familiar and GO! I was forced to talk to unfamiliar people to see how I could get my car unlocked when Mom, with the spare key, was 246 miles away, and I had band within an hour!!!

Jesus tells us in Acts, that we are to be His witnesses in Jerusalem, as well as ‘to the ends of the earth.’ Jerusalem, for His disciples, was a familiar place. That’s where they all grew up. It’s what they know. However, He calls them to go to Judea, Samaria, and the ends of the earth to spread this message that they have! That’s not exactly familiar to them! Remember, most of these people are traveling on foot. To be called to go that far out of their comfort zone is a huge step.

I was forced out of my comfort zone! I had to get to know people and trust them quickly to help me get my clothes, my flute, and, of course, my keys, out of my car! I had never met any of these people ever in my entire life! I was locked out of what was familiar…Jesus asks us to go outside of what is familiar and share His message to the world!

Will you stay in what’s familiar, or will you voluntarily go out of your comfort zone to share His grace?

________________________________

© Copyright 2009, Samantha Fomera

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment