Saturday, June 12, 2010

Dusting the Grass

Ecclesiastes 1:2-3 (NIV)
“‘Meaningless! Meaningless!’ says the Teacher. ‘Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless!’ What does a man gain from all his labor at which he toils under the sun?”

As I was driving home with my sister more than a week ago, she tells this story: “So my grandma calls, and she says, “Hi! Can you come dust?” So, I say “NO!” An hour or two passes and my grandma calls again and she says “Can you come dust?” Again, I say “no.” One last time my grandma calls and says, “Can you come dust?” and I say ‘Fine.” So I go over there and I see her dusting. But she isn’t dusting the furniture, she is dusting the grass. I yell, “Grandma, what are you doing?” Grandma replies, “Company’s coming and this place is sooo dirty! Just thought I’d spruce up a bit.” I exclaim, “By dusting the grass?!” (As told by Morgan Fomera)

How often do we get caught up in the meaningless details of life, rather than looking at the big picture?! I know I’m guilty of it! Now, some things are necessary to carrying out the day’s work…but do you get caught up in the business of the work and forget that it’s all about relationships with others? Do you get so caught up in “doing” that you forget that it is an actual relationship with God that your Spirit longs for? You can figure out what this eleven yr-old’s story means for you, but remember: it’s the relationships in your life that count…definitely not the status of the grass – whether it be dusty, or just long!

Originally written on Tuesday, May 25, 2010

________________________________

© Copyright 2010, Samantha Fomera

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment